Category: Bath and Shower
Your bathroom should just not look like a space for cleaning up; rather it should be designed like a personal sanctuary or spa to relieve the stress of the day and relax. If you’re planning a renovation this year, don’t go with those old-fashioned ceramic bathtubs that’ll only make your bathroom look ordinary. Gone are the days when bathrooms were only used as a bathing space. We’re in the new world of interior designing, and we’ve a long list of hottest bathroom designing trends. Stone bathtubs are one of them. The bathroom trend is ruling 2018, and majority of interior designers are obsessed with it. You want to know the reason? Have a quick glance at the pointers below.
Look visually appealing
Stone bathtubs look more appealing than the usual ones. Since they’re exclusive, and each one of them comes with a different kind of texture, color and feel; they easily make bathrooms elite and one of a kind. You can’t get that appeal with ceramic bathtubs, and that’s the reason they’ve become the first choice of every interior designer. The best thing is that they look rustic, traditional, earthy and contemporary at the same time in your bathroom. They effortlessly make your bathroom space visually attractive.
They rejuvenate your soul
Stone is the element of nature that certainly makes your interior calm. They bring you closer to nature and helps soothe your mind. Taking a warm bath in a natural stone bathtub is quite close to meditation. So, if you are stressed out, a stone bathtub is the thing you need.
Bring you close to nature
Stone bathtubs are the perfect reflection of what happens when you blend nature with interiors. They are hand-finished and made keeping natural features of the stone alive. So, owners can assure that they can sense nature on the everyday basis in their bathrooms, and rejuvenate their weary soul while bathing.
Change entire aura of the bathroom
Stone bathtubs look very strong and powerful in the bathroom. They change the entire aura of the space and provide traditional luxury appeal. They are not even slippery like ceramic bathtubs, and the best thing is, you can get them in different appealing designs and textures to match your bathroom interior.
They have longevity
Stone bathtubs are durable and you can use them for many years to come without worrying about breakage and wear and tear cost. They have more longevity then wooden and ceramic bathtubs.
Therefore, if you are in the process of selecting a new bathtub to match your bathroom space, select a stone bathtub and be updated with latest bathroom designing trends.
Are you planning to renovate your bathroom? The renovation itself can cost a hundred dollars and therefore it is very important to make a plan before starting the process. Begin with checking your old pipes and the entire plumbing area. Pipe locating can detect if any plumbing problem exists.
It is important to arrange a plumber, check before starting with a renovation, because of poor plumbing system may affect your renovation budget. You may be hearing weird noises like gurgling or splashing. It may be a small problem that can be solved by you. However, the problem may become more serious if you don’t call a professional who will save you money and time.
Your bathroom has to be waterproofed correctly and it’s something that has to be done by someone with a license. Waterproofing failure is considered as one of the top three building irregularities.
When purchasing bathroom fixtures and fittings, don’t forget to check if they meet the Australian Standards. Nowadays, many products and materials are imported from abroad especially from abroad. They may be cheaper, but don’t have the quality you need. Quality products will save you money as you don’t have to replace them earlier. These products offer over 5 year’s warranty, unlike cheaper products offering just 1-year warranty. Another issue that may arise with imported products is the difficulty finding spare parts or having installation problems.
A development application (DA) will be required if you want to add or relocate something bigger, including removing a wall or adding a window. Sometimes, you may not need any permission, but it’s a good idea to check. The DA is a must-have if you are significantly changing utilities. This request has to be submitted by a registered architect or a building designer.
Do you have a home built before 1980? You should be prepared for the presence of asbestos, which can be found in your walls, floors or ceilings. Many Australians don’t even know they are having asbestos in their homes. Ensure your loved ones are not exposed to these harmful fibres and hire a licensed asbestos handler who will remove the asbestos from your home. Don’t forget this will extend the renovation process. And don’t think to remove it by yourself.
Think about organizing alternative accommodation during the renovation process, where you and your family can await your newly renovated bathroom.
Renovating your bathroom can be a challenging process. There are so many things to consider before the renovation starts.
Shower enclosures are more popular because of simplicity and you have a wide range of choices with regards to sizes and shapes. Round or half-round, square or rectangular, with a tray or without, clear or sand-blasted etc.
The most important things to know about the shower before you purchase is the quality and after sale service. One may buy something very beautiful – but what does one do if one cannot use it after a few months. This could be due to the quality of the door wheels or if the installation was done wrong, then the small bearings will not move smoothly and the glass door will be hard to open or close – this can result in the handle or door itself being broken.
Any reputable company always reminds you that the warranty provided is only valid if proper installation has been conducted. This is not just a money issue only – the main reason is that nobody wants to correct other peoples’ faults. Neither do they want to be summoned to Court and proceed to answer hundreds of questions. They also do not want to visit a hospital to see how serious injuries resulted from broken glass due to incorrect/unqualified installations. Company reputation is also of importance as one will not recommend poor levels of service to your friends.
In this modern era, the shower area inside bathrooms are becoming more and more unusual. Different materials are equipped and made available for use. Let’s compare the shower cabin with the shower enclosure:
– FM radio / top light,
– hydro-massage jets,
– modern design,
– built-in water tap,
– not all sizes and shapes are available (only ready-made from the factories),
– 90% of the glass is only 5 mm in thickness,
– a lot of the spare parts used (e.g: door wheels, stoppers) made of plastic,
– external plastic parts change color and fade especially if placed opposite a window or near sunlight, trays are made of ABS and acrylic,
– this may not work long if any of your family members are 120 kg weight or more,
– electrical supply requires additional socket,
– requires constant maintenance.
– 100% off the glass is 8-10 mm in thickness,
– all parts made of metal (steel, aluminium, brass),
– any size can be enclosed by the glass,
– easy access to drainage pipe in case of cleaning,
– most of the parts are universal size and widely available,
– design or picture can be applied to the glass,
– water flow is direct to drainage and will be stopped by granite / marble support under the glass.
– no FM radio / top light,
– only simple designs,
– you cannot order a half round shape.
More parts made of metal and less of the plastic – this makes for a strong shower cabin (from the other side plastic parts will never become rusty). Anyway, you will change these items for new ones over time.
According to statistics, people renew bathroom interiors every 3-5 years just for hygienic purposes.
I hope this information will help you to find the best solution possible.
Firstly, as with virtually any form of cleaning, you should aim to work from top to bottom, that is to say, clean the upper surfaces before the lower, in this way you will avoid splashing areas you have already attended to, and having to redo work.
- Clear any surfaces by moving any toiletries, pots and packets out of the way
- Wipe over chrome fittings with a proprietary scale remover and leave per instructions
- Pour a generous amount of bleach up around the rim of the toilet and leave
- Clear any cobwebs or dust from top of walls and ceiling
- Wipe with a lightly bleached cloth all around your window frame and inside the frame of any opening widows. This will prevent mould growing
- Wipe a damp rag on the top surface of any wall cabinets. Rinse and repeat.
- Clean mirrors and shower panels with a clear proprietary window cleaner and a piece of kitchen roll. Re-wipe with a dry sheet
- Rinse scale remover from chrome fittings
- Spray all surfaces with bathroom cleaner designed to remove soap, scum and body fat ensuring that you spray all around and underneath tap and shower fittings
- Leave the cleaner on the surfaces for a few minutes (dependent upon manufacturers instructions) then fill sink and bath with a couple of inches of warm water.
- Take a clean j-cloth or similar and use it to flood the surfaces and taps allowing the water to flow back into the basin/shower. Repeat this procedure then drain away the water and rinse basin/bath
- If you have a detachable shower head, flood the areas carefully with clean cold water to rinse, otherwise use a rinsed j-cloth
- Run over the whole area with another slightly damp cloth to dry and polish
- Use a toilet brush inside the loo to thoroughly scrub with the bleached water then flush.
- Pour a surfactant toilet cleaner in the bowl (this sticks to the sides and gives a fresh smell) but make sure you have flushed away bleach first
- Finally give the floor a sweep and a wipe down with a moist cloth (depending on floor covering).
- Last thing, open a window for an hour or so and get some fresh air in. This will keep the bathroom fresh and inhibit the growth of mould on windows and ceilings
Use this as a guide for your bathroom cleaning and you’ll keep it clean and fresh.
TIPS FOR SELECTING AN EXPERIENCED AND RELIABLE BATHROOM REMODELING CONTRACTOR-
Half of the work is completed as soon as you find a reliable and trusted remodeling contractor. The process of remodeling the bathroom is quite complicated and challenging. You can follow the given tips to make an effective decision.
FIRST MAKE YOUR MIND REGARDING DESIGNS-
It is necessary to do research on your part instead of depending solemnly on the designs that the contractor shows you. Visit nearby showrooms selling washroom supplies, checkout various showers, taps, tubs, its design online and set your mind regarding what kind of technology you want to get installed in your bathroom. After getting an overall idea, contact your contractor for getting an estimate of the cost.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE FINALISING THE CONTRACTOR-
Taking opinions from neighbors or peers does no harm, in fact, you can take notes from their experiences and take precautions beforehand. Read the reviews online and you may contact the recent clients of the contractor and ask about their experience, quality of the services and work done by the contractor. These tips will help you in selecting a trustworthy contractor who will meet all your expectations. The fee for contractors varies according to the work, place, time, etc, so keeping in mind these factors, choose a qualified person for your remodeling project.
SET YOUR BUDGET-
Remodeling the bathroom is a challenging task because of the many hidden costs and problem pops-up which you may never expect. So, it is important to set the budget beforehand that will cover the cost of such unexpected situations. Choose the accessories according to your budget, because the contractor fees, delivery charges, plumber or electrician fee is also involved in remodeling the bathroom. Do not expect all your expenses will get covered in the contract, there are few hidden expenses for which you have to pay separately from your pocket.
DO NOT FORGET TO ASK FOR INSURANCE OR BONDING-
This aspect is often overlooked, but it is important to be on the safe side. A legitimate bathroom remodeling contractor will never hesitate to share such information with their clients. The proof will help you to check the credibility of the contracting company. Another important thing to keep in mind is to verify the validity of the license of the contracting company. Check they have certificates from legal government associations, such as the National Kitchen and Bath Association, etc. For this purpose, you may hire the services of such agencies. Remodeling of the bathroom is an expensive work, make sure to get it done by experienced and qualified workers.
GET IT IN WRITING FROM THE CONTRACTOR-
Before making the final deal, scrutinize the contract to make sure it is legal and clearly defines the project plan, complete budget, a change-order clause (if any problem arises during the working period), warranty period, etc. Getting all these things in writing will serve as a proof in the future if any conflict arises between the client and contractor.
While some folks may find them a bit unsafe or too transparent, glass shower doors are as trendy as smartphones these days. Almost everyone who has a shower, uses shower doors or curtains. However, there are folks who, under the influence of news stories about exploding glass doors and windows, may go against this – and this post is for them.
I do not mean to pitch some tall claims or sell something over to you. However, there are some ways and tips you could avoid almost any wrong decision about installation of the glass shower doors. Since the doors come in varying types and variations – like pure glass, plastic, with frames or without, it is vital to assess the basics before making such a decision.
The following four points should guide you on the same.
1. Do You Really Need Them?
The foremost question to ask yourself is whether do you really need a glass shower door or that is too much? This depends a lot on your habits. For example, if you use bathtubs for the sake of shower, then curtains may work better for you. However, if you take a bath in a separate stall, then you may want to have doors. Generally, glass shower doors look beautiful and add elegance to the facility.
2. Have You Checked the Basics?
There are fundamentally four things to consider while opting for glass doors.
- Strong Pivots – in order to support a strong glass shower door, you may need to have durable and strong pivots.
- Frosted Glass – people in general take tempered glass more ideal for showers as compared to plain one. This is primarily due to the sturdy nature, durability, safety, and ability to absorb heat.
- Customization – in order to add more to the beauty of the doors, you can apply colors, decorations, and textures. Make sure to pick a material that supports customization without losing durability.
- Safety Measures – never ever compromise on your or family’s safety. Make sure to keep strong checks before and after installation and use well-tested glasses for bathrooms.
3. What is Your Personal Preference?
Yeah, that’s very important to assess first. There are folks who think that glass might be harmful in the case of slip or an explosion owing to heat etc. While your fear is valid, this is not true with the modern types of glasses. Today, most of the doors today are made of safety glasses, which do not break in first place. However, if they do, they shatter and do not fragment into pieces that could harm you. While price could be a deciding factor, glass doors are more beautiful and easy to clean as compared to plastic ones.
4. Is Your Vendor Reliable?
The last but not the least important one is about the vendor. Are you taking supplies from a reliable vendor who has good repute, and capacity to provide the desired material?
My simple advice would be to seek advice from friends and family members if they have previously worked with a good company. If you don’t find any help, search for local businesses dealing within the same, and seek their public reviews.
You can find people’s comments on their profiles on Google My Business, Facebook pages, Twitter, and other social networking sites. Moreover, reliable review websites like TrustRadius, YellowPages, and TrustPilot should also help you find the best and the most reliable option.